Sunday, August 1, 2010

Do something scary - try a film noir.


We have all heard the phrase, "Do something that scares you everyday." I had already done the world's tallest roller coaster, delivered a baby through natural childbirth, and taken a dive off an Olympic height diving board. I didn't think there was much left for me to be afraid of. That was until I was faced with honoring my commitment to be an actress for a team who was participating in the Nashville's 48 Hour Film Project. I drove right up to their studio with my number one fear, Public Speaking. Being in this short film was no ordinary public speaking, it was acting in front of BIG cameras with HUGE fuzzy microphones and knowing that what I was saying and doing was going to be viewed and judged by a few hundred people. The icing on the scary cake was that the team I was volunteering to help called to inform me that I was to wear comfortable clothing because I was going to be preforming a fight scene. Me? A Charlie's Angel? eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!! Dear Friends, I am not an actress nor do I play one on t.v.! I was terrified, but I showed up with my bundle of nerves and the willingness to try.






My insecurities and fears were dashed thanks to Black Box Media Group and their team who was participating in the 48 Hour Film Project. Beth Knott, Brad Staggs, Pam Melton and Christie Haffner couldn't have been more fun to play with and clearly have fun working together. They "drew" film noir and were given complete artistic license except for these elements: Character: Evan Minors, Prop: a chess set, and Line of Dialogue: "It's not easy being me." Oh yea, and only 48 hours to write a script, find a cast, secure a location, film it, edit it, score it and turn it in. Thankfully, Black Box Media Group does just about everything in their beautiful Marathon Village studio. They are a full service video production company specializing in television, product video, commercials, and demo reels. They are also amazing creative, funny and super nice.



Black Box Media Group graciously received my volunteer acting help like a blind date at Starbucks. I had only responded to an email from Jenny Piper saying that her friends needed some help with their film project and I honestly had no idea what I was really getting into until that day. That was the fun of the project; it was about doing not talking, and thinking fast on your feet. All the short films (5-7 minutes) will be playing at the Belcourt Theater on August the 11th. You will find me "The Trigger Happy Gun Wielding Art Thief" along with my family there shaking in my shoes scared and excited to see myself on a the big screen. You will also find many other creative and brave people who thankfully make us get out and do crazy things that we are later glad for.

Check out these links
Black Box Media Group
48 Hour Film Project





Here is a sneak preview of my brief and wondrous life in Black Box Media Group's film noir.(photos by Keith and Leo Spadafino)



2 comments:

  1. You and your family were such great troopers. We can't thank ya'll enough for giving up your Saturday afternoon to "play" with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Can't wait to see it and learn more about HOW Tv!

    ReplyDelete