Thursday, June 14, 2012

New Work for June 2012


"The Peony's Medicine" 
Camilla Spadafino

24" x 48" mixed media, acrylic paint, handmade paper, found materials on canvas
$875.00


Click Here to Purchase 


Georgia O'Keeffe is the central inspiration for this piece. I was teaching abstract and observational painting to my K-4 students at Lockeland Design Center and stumbled upon the idea of using O'Keeffe's  works as an example of both.  Through teaching about Georgia O'Keeffe's life and work I became incredibly moved by her story. 

I carried away three main ideas that are reflected in this piece: 

*look deeply inside: your spirit and nature

*be yourself:  don't try to be like or paint like anyone else

*get still and quiet

close up view of "The Peony's Medicine" 
I began the process for this piece by noticing flowers blooming on my early morning walks this spring.  When I saw the peony's blooming I slowed down and gently pulled their petals back and was struck to the quick of my Being by the beauty I found there. I took several photos of the peonies and was astounded by the beauty my simple i phone was able to capture.  I used this one as the inspiration for "The Peony's Medicine." 

inspiration photo for "The Peony's Medicine" by Camilla Spadafino with iPhone camera
First, I created a blind contour drawing with a black ink pen onto the freshly gessoed canvas. Using a glazing medium and acrylic paint I began building up the layers of color  back ground and working my way from the petals to the center of the flower.  At that point a very intuitive process began of finding various materials including handmade papers, chinese papers,  photos and stickers.  All materials were applied with matte medium for archival purposes. Finally layers of paint were often added over the papers and fine details applied. 

The title "Peony's Medicine" is derived from a special meditation from my women's group.  The focus for the month of June has been plants and the various medicines they contain for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. The peony's medicine contains magic that brings the mind,body and spirit alive to embody beauty deep within our souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment