Sunday, August 8, 2010

"Tomato and Goliath"

Giclee prints sounds so very fancy especially when you say it with a French accent and turn your nose up with a little twinkle in your eye like this, "zhee-klay." Now you are picturing me with a baret and a black scarf saying my special sophisticated art word to the crowd that is gathering around my giclee print at Art and Invention Gallery with ooohs and aaaahs.

My giclee prints are created by Duane at Picture This Gallery in Hermitage, TN. Herb Williams is a parent at the school where I teach art and recommended him to me. Since I am a huge fan Herb's work and loved the print he donated to my classroom I took his advice and got over the long drive out there to see for myself what he was raving about. Once there I was warmly greeted and taken care of by the one and only fabulous Duane.

Giclee prints are an elevation in printmaking technology. Images are created from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various surfaces including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper. The giclee printing process provides better color accuracy than other types of prints. Picture This Gallery has an amazing scanner that captures even the tiniest detail in my work. Even better are the human hands and eye of Duane who scans my work in sections because the original is so large and then takes the time to carefully and beautifully pull it all together to look exactly like the original.

It is a miracle to me that Duane can take a 3' X 4' canvas, scan it, blend it and then print it with such accuracy and detail on the 16" X 20" archival paper that you can see even the itty bitty eyelashes on each and every face that is featured on my work. It's like a ship in a bottle! Each time I have Duane create a print for me I stare at it in amazement for hours. The quality of the giclee print rivals traditional silver-halide and gelatin printing processes and is commonly found in museums,and art galleries.

Numerous examples of giclee prints can be found in New York City at the Metropolitan Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Chelsea Galleries. Recent auctions of giclee prints have fetched $10,800 for Annie Leibovitz, $9,600 for Chuck Close, and $22,800 for Wolfgang Tillmans. You will find my "Tomato and Goliath" glicee print at Art and Invention Gallery during Tomato Fest for only $40.00 each. Hope to see you there on August the 14th staring with joy into the fabulous details of your very own "Tomato and Goliath" print.

A sneak peak is provided for you here, you can click on the image(and then click again) to make it a little larger but you really must see for your self and in person how much richer and more vivid this print is on paper instead of pixels! Thank you for looking and I hope to see you on August 14th at Art and Invention Gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment